Eat Out to Help Out! Are Local Restaurants Near You Offering This Deal?
Date : Aug 24, 2020
Author : DR A Zayed
On August 3rd, a scheme by the UK government to give thousands of cafes, pubs, and local restaurants a boost following the COVID-19 lock came to effect. The scheme aims to get more individuals to spend money on local restaurants post-lock down.
Chancellor Rishi Sunak unveiled the scheme on July 8th, along with a reduction in VAT from 20% to 5% for hospitality and tourism. This measure will be in effect until January 12th, 2021.
This comes after nearly 80% of the hospitality businesses stopped trading in April due to the Coronavirus pandemic. Over 1.4 million workers got laid off from work.
Even after re-opening on July 4th, local restaurants and pubs are still having a hard time attracting enough customers. Besides, these venues have to operate at a lower capacity to comply with social distancing guidelines.
According to chancellor Rishi Sunak, the scheme will protect the jobs of over 1.8 million local restaurateurs, chefs, and waiters, by increasing the demand for their service. Also, by getting more customers through the door.
The government hopes this restaurant deal will inspire more spending and customer confidence.
What’s the Eat Out To Help Out Scheme for Local Restaurants?
The “Eat Out to Help Out Scheme” is offering UK members 50% discount coupons for restaurant meals. It provides diners for half-price meals from Monday to Wednesday, up to a value of £10 per individual in over 72,000 venues.
Although you can now enjoy discounts on food and drinks in your favourite UK restaurant. The scheme exempts alcohol.
Does the Government Pay The Remaining Cost Of The Bill?
According to the UK government, the remaining money from the bill of restaurants, cafes, and pubs taking part will be paid back after customers use the discount.
To claim back the funds, the businesses must register with the scheme via GOV. UK website. At the end of the week, the business can claim their money back. The government will transfer the money into their account within 5 working days.
Do I Need a Voucher/ Discount Coupons of Restaurants ?
You won’t need a voucher to enjoy the scheme. Restaurants, cafes, and pubs automatically apply the discount when you eat or drink in their establishment. The scheme applies only to seat in meals and doesn’t include delivery and takeaways.
Is There A Minimum Spend?
You can use the discount with other promotions. There is no minimum spend.
What Can I Claim The Discount On?
You can enjoy the discount on anything on the menu, expect on alcohol and service charges.
Is There A Limit On How Many Times I Can Use The Scheme?
No! There’s no limit on the number of times you can use the discount. You can use it as many times in as many participating restaurants, cafes, and pubs.
Which Local Restaurants Are Taking Part In Eat Out To Help Out?
By visiting GOV. UK website, you can find a list of all local restaurants taking part in the Eat Out to Help scheme.
Here’s a list of some popular restaurants participating in the scheme, along with what they’re doing to ensure they’re safe and consistent:
Browns is re-opening in phases and has reduced the number of opening hours. It’s offering a small menu to help suppliers get back and running.
Browns advise customers to check with them before visiting. It also encourages booking before visiting- this will help them collect information needed to track and trace customers.
This comes in handy in case of an outbreak and prevents long queues. The restaurant saves the customer information for only 21 days after that the information gets destroyed.
Safety Measure Adopted by Browns:
- Adoption of cashless payment method to avoid direct cash transfers. A customer can pay using Android Pay, Apple Pay, contactless Pin, or Chip.
- It has placed several hand sanitizer stations, including at the entrance.
- More spacing between tables, reduced sitting capacities, and table service only.
- The restaurants provide their staff with PPE, although it’s optional to wear.
- Every restaurant is cleaned thoroughly and regularly every day.
- In case there’s a queue, they have taken the appropriate measures to make sure customers comply with social distancing.
Prezzo has re-opened over 25 of its 180 restaurants. If you want to dine in their restaurants, you have to book in advance. They also encourage customers to maintain social distance and wash their hands regularly.
Safety Measure Adopted By Prezzo
- Prezzo encourages its employees to complete a health tracker every day before they leave their homes to ensure they’re fit to work.
- They’ve placed signs and floors sticker to inform customers and staff on the correct social distancing measures. They’ve marked the waiting areas for individual collecting takeaways.
- Presence of single-use menus to minimize contact between customers and waiters. You can keep the menu to yourself and order from your seat directly via a web app.
- Offer cashless payments through Apple Pay or Android Pay.
- They’re offering simpler menus- this way chefs and other kitchen employees can stick to their workstation.
- Heightened cleaning programs that prioritize frequent contact surfaces like point-of-sale, tables, toilets, and bathrooms. Also, there are several sanitation stations.
Since July 29th over 10 Nando’s restaurants have been re-opened and more will re-open in the next coming months too. Nando’s doesn’t offer customers pre-booking, but it returns 100% of their VAT cut till January 2021.
Safety Measure Adopted By Nando’s
- They provide the staff with facial protection should they wish to use it during their shift. Nonetheless, they must put on aprons and gloves when cooking. The menu will be simple to minimize contact in the kitchen.
- Customers will order from their table by scanning a QR code. The waiter will bring everything to their tables, including napkins, cutlery, and sauces.
- Installation of hand sanitizer stations throughout the restaurants. They encourage customers to use them upon arrival.
- Just like the other restaurants, they’ve adopted cashless payments. Customers also will access the disposable paper menu upon their arrival and pay through contactless Pin and Chip.
- Presence of clear floor markings and fewer tables to encourage social distancing.
- Adoption of a new queuing system to help in providing adequate information required for tracking and tracing.
It’s Southbank, Wimbledon, Shoreditch, Stratford, and White City restaurants have re-opened. Just like Nando’s they’re also returning 100% VAT to reduce diner costs. The reduction will continue throughout August.
Safety Measure Adopted By Wahaca
- Enhanced cleaning and protective barrier or screen in relevant spaces.
- Both the front team and kitchen staff get masks.
- Hand sanitizers are distributed throughout the restaurants.
- Fewer tables to encourage social distancing.
- Adoption of cashless payments. If a customer lacks the phone payment function, they can use cards.
Over 18 Wagamama’s restaurants are already open and many more will open their doors for customers in the coming months. They don’t accept bookings to reduce pressure at work on their small team.
Safety Measure Adopted By Wagamama
- Presence of a safety host who supervises social distancing queuing and handles the flow in and out of the venues.
- Several hand sanitizer stations and regular thorough cleaning practices.
- Only a small team of staff working in the kitchen because of the reduced menu and to encourage social distancing.
- The staff working at the restaurant must undergo mandatory health screening and use the provided PPE for necessary tasks.
- The restaurants also comply with the government’s contact collection request to help in tracking and tracing of customers in case of an outbreak.
- Contactless payments and protective sliding screens to keep guests socially distant without affecting their dining experience.
- Sauces are sanitized after every use and all cutlery, glasses, and condiments are taken to the customer’s table by one staff. This minimizes touchpoints.
Others Brands Participating in the “Eat Out to Help Our” Scheme
- Massarella Catering group
- Green King
- Pizza Express
- White Brands
- Blue Diamond
- Atlas Hotel
- Costa Coffee
With the help of this scheme, you can save a maximum of £350 during the month. That’s if you eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner out every Monday to Wednesday. This is a great deal if you ask me.
Even though the government is encouraging the public to go out and spend money, it’s still crucial to have less social contact. COVID-19 is still prevalent in the UK, therefore interacting with many people puts you at a higher risk of contracting it.